Re: [OM] (OT) UK Citizenship

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) UK Citizenship
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:53:48 +0100
Well I got them all correct except the one about EU Driving Licences - the
answers were too black-and-white.  (I've just been through the process,
returning to the UK with a Belgian licence.)

"Driving with an EU/EEA-issued licence

A valid driving licence issued anywhere within the European Union (EU), or
European Economic Area (EEA), may be used by the licence holder until the
age of 70, or for up to three years from the time they become resident in
Great Britain (whichever is longer).

After three years it must be exchanged for a GB licence.  EU licences can
only be renewed in the country in which the holder is resident.  If a
driver holds a licence from another EU country and renews it in Britain, it
will be converted to a UK licence."

But elsewhere you can read:

"EU-issued Licences

Holders of an EU-issued licence do not have to apply for an equivalent GB
licence until five years after becoming resident, unless they reach the age
of 45 before the five year period, or reach age 65 within one year of
residency"

So in any event by the time you're 70 you have to change it.

UK Jez

(of course it might all change when UK downsizes as England, Wales and
Northern Ireland)