[OM] A7 adapter arrived. First impressions.

Subject: [OM] A7 adapter arrived. First impressions.
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 05:23:09 -0700
My Photasy brand adapter, arrived very fast from rainbow imaging. ~$15

I chose it because it had a ribbed interior to cut reflections, as well as a
tab rather than a screw aperture detent.

The fit is snug for both the E mount and the OM mount,will have to see how it
wears.

Only downside so far, is the red line on the lenses does not line up exactly at
the top of the camera, it is off vertical axis a bit.
Seems to focus to infinity ok.

Now in use, I really like the A7 with OM lenses,it is almost like using an OM4
again. They have really done a lot, to greatly improve the experience of using
legacy glass on this camera. Interesting, how some of the changes, over and
above full frame compact body, have so greatly improved the experience over my
Canyon adapted body.

I did a trip to Peru earlier in the year and used my old canyon APS-C camera,
with some Canyon mount lenses and some adapted OM lenses.

At the time, I thought just how much I missed the fun of a great travel camera
like an OM2.  Having to put up with a dim finder,lousy focus screens etc.stop
down focus issues etc, takes away half the fun. Most of the issues are dealt
with in some fashion in the A7. Not that the A7 does not have a few issues too
and it chows batteries.

Lens contrast with the A7 seems really quite good, compared to the same glass
on the Canyon. Not sure whether the sensor is less reflective, or whether it is
a dirty sensor on my old camera?  At a quick look, lateral Color fringing looks
acceptable, even on wides.

Still learning to use all the cameras myriad options.

It accepts regular hot shoes ,and I took a few shots with a T32. Not sure what
specified sync speed is, but it seemed to work to ~1/300 th. The high sensor
sensitivity is a huge improvement over my very old Canyon.

So far I have tried the following mostly OM lenses with very pleasing results:

135/2.8,  21mm/3.5, 16mm/3.5 fish eye, 14mm/3.5 sigma (in OM mount,is low
contrast lens even on OM),135mm F1.8 Sigmatel (monster cult lens in OM
mount,difficult to focus even on Om, but works well on A7 with focus aid) and
favorite Novoflex follow focus 240mm (also with OM 1.4X adapter),

Still to try : My stereo microscope (not Oly!) with its OM adapter,50mm/1.8,
28mm (seldom used), 35mm/3.5 shift (seldom used), Novoflex 400mm, 50mm/3.5
macro and my favourite and most used Zuiko of all time 24mm/F2. Novoflex
bellows with various flat field lenses (Canon 20mm micro in RMS-OM,Minolta
,Zeiss)

Lots to play with still and maybe then do some actual photography!

Tim Hughes