[OM] Hmong/Karen

Subject: [OM] Hmong/Karen
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:24:09 -0500
Chuck posted:  "I love the colorful clothes.  Who are these people?  Do
they have a name?"

And Tina replied:  "They are the Hmong people of northern Vietnam.  A lot
of them emigrated
from Vietnam to North Carolina and there is a big Hmong community in
Charlotte."

     Many also ended up in St. Paul, MN, where their first winter must have
been a rude shock.  But they have generally done very well.  For some
fifteen years I came to a St. Paul elementary school each spring to do
programs using live aquatic insects.  The kids (K to 4th graders) were
really turned on by the chance to handle live stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly,
etc. larvae.  I found the Hmong children (probably half the school body)
particularly excited about learning and asking questions.
     More recently, many Karen refugees from camps along the Thai-Myanmar
border also came to St. Paul.  It has been very rewarding working with all
these youngsters.
Dean