Re: [OM] OM to M 4/3 adapters (MF-2 and equivalents)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to M 4/3 adapters (MF-2 and equivalents)
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 17:37:21 +0800
This has been discussed before, the lens is the weakest part. If one has to
worry, worry about the lens itself. Check an example below for three lenses:

www.accura.com.hk/temp/Leica_M35_50_75.jpg

The field curvature is well over 200 microns towards the edges! The adapter thickness uneven will be 10 times less!

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ever since I read Mike Hattem's tests of adapters you've described below I
can't figure out what he was carrying on about.  Consider that the front
and back mounts are not perfectly parallel.  How is that different from
tilting a lens with a tilt/shift adapter?  And if it was a truly bad
machining job... maybe only by 0.001-0.002 inch.  The image is not
"distorted", only the plane of focus has changed.  Unless he's testing
using a perfectly flat object located very close to the lens and with
almost no depth of field and also very precisely parallel with the image
plane I don't see how he could detect it... even at 100%.  I don't see
that such a small error in the parallelism of the two mounting faces is
any kind of real world problem.

What's wrong with my logic?

Chuck Norcutt