[OM] OT: Chicago ATC Fire

Subject: [OM] OT: Chicago ATC Fire
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 17:09:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I've been keeping track of the impacts related to the attempted suicide
and fire at the Chicago ATC facility.  I once had to fly through New York
Centre airspace in a 9-ship formation when their computer system broke down and
we all reverted to procedural IFR, which was a nightmare.  That was almost 40
years ago, and the US airspace is much more crowded now.  I cannot imagine
Chicago Centre reverting to procedural IFR.

     The FAA is now saying that it will be at least two weeks before things are
back to normal.  They pretty much have to replace everything in that facility.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson