Re: [OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommended USB 3.0 multi-card reader
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 08:06:03 -0400
This is a tough one.  I can form 2 hypotheses.

My less favored first hypothesis it that, due to the very high frequencies of the USB 3.0 port, there may be radio frequency interference, perhaps within and between the wires stretching from the USB 3.0 adapter and the USB 3.0 sockets on the front panel... this device <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994161> It could be that such interference extends to the wires of the USB 2.0 port as well but is not as bad. I would try moving the thumb or hard drive to a port on the back of the USB 3.0 adapter using the minimum amount of extension cord required. That may not be convenient but may show where the problem is. I'd also leave the mouse at the USB 2.0 port since whatever problem is occurring is less there. I'd also do as I suggested in my earlier post which is to put the receiver on a USB extension cord and put it closer to the mouse.

My second hypothesis goes to your own thoughts about old (read slow) hardware. When the USB 3.0 thumb or hard drive are running they are placing large demands on the system for data transfer... lots of interrupts to the interrupt controller. The mouse, being a human interface device, is supposed to have interrupt priority but, since all the interrupts are coming from the same USB 3.0 port the drives may be swamping the mouse interrupts causing unresponsive or jumpy behavior. It could be that plugging the mouse into a USB 2.0 port allows the system to better differentiate the source and priority of interrupts. But I'm way out on a limb here. I've never worked with Windows internals and have never worked at the device driver hardware interrupt level for more than 20 years. If simply moving the cables around as I suggested above doesn't work then I'd next try making sure that you have the latest *manufacturer supplied* device drivers for both USB 3.0 adapter and mouse. If the OS and motherboard are old it may be that the Microsoft generic drivers are also old. It might also be that your old hardware simply isn't up to the task you've given it.

I'm very curious to know what's going on here. Let me know what happens if you try any of my suggestions... but I'll give you only a 10% chance that any of my diagnoses are correct. :-)

Chuck Norcutt