Re: [OM] Tiny Dancers

Subject: Re: [OM] Tiny Dancers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:33:47 -0700
On 9/28/2014 5:04 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I long ago convinced myself that I need one as well as the 9-18 which has first priority.

I have had both for some time. The long one gets at least 100 times as much use. There are certainly circumstances where true WA is needed, but also many where a simple panorama does the job. Out in nature, I very often find that 18 mm eq. isn't wide enough for scenics, and the lower distortion, both from lens imperfection and equal angle distortion, of a series of panorama shots with a longer lens is superior.

But then, that is in large part a result of my photographic tendencies. It was true of the 18/3.5 on OM, 17-35 on 5D, and 10-22 on APS-C, as well; absolutely necessary - for a small fraction of shots.

However, I'm waiting for a better price via Oly refurbs or at least 'til I'm out of New York and don't have to pay NYC sales tax to B&H. Oly has already advertised both lenses as refurbs twice so far this year but both times I've attempted to order they've been out of stock.

On the other hand I'm reminding myself of the old joke about the woman who complains to her butcher that his price for poke chops is too high. She says the other butcher down the street is selling them for 25% less. He asks: "Then why don't you buy them there?" She answers: "Because he doesn't have any."

So often true ...

Tele Photo Moose