Re: [OM] Brumbies

Subject: Re: [OM] Brumbies
From: Marc Lawrence <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:07:33 +1000
On 2 October 2014 01:45, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Why it the background contrast so low.  It almost looks like it's in fog.
> The bokeh on the out-of-focus bush in the foreground of #3 is very harsh.

Firstly, Chuck, thanks for your comments.

Ostensibly, the low contrast *is* because of the fog (well, low cloud).
Elsewhere (social media) I've referred to the second two with the suffix
"in the mist", which was intrinsic to my post-processing. But it is also
partly due to judicious (injudicious? :) ) use of the colour channels in
the conversion to black-and-white - the horses are quite reddish-brown,
whereas much the foliage is in the green-olive range, enabling decent
separation. And partly, I've intentionally masked the horses with increased
contrast.

No such "intent" can be given to the bokeh. It is an area of photography I
have low sensitivity to (along with colour casts), so your feedback is
doubly-appreciated.

(FWIW, the photos are taken with a Canon 5DMkII and the Canon EF70-200/2.8L
IS)

Cheers, and thanks again,
Marc
Snowy Mts, Oz