Re: [OM] They Don't Last Forever

Subject: Re: [OM] They Don't Last Forever
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 14:15:54 -0400
You need to adjust your thinking. Control of the monitor will not be based on controls on the monitor. Monitor control will be based on the software that drives the display and its interface.

For example, I have a Dell 24" IPS display (wonderful!) which is driven by the AMD Radeon graphics built into the AMD quad processor in my HP Pavilion desktop computer. When I right click on the desktop it brings up a related menu. The first item shown is the AMD Catalyst Control Center which controls all functions of the (possibly multiple) display(s). From there it takes a third click to select "Desktops and Displays" and a fourth click to select "Desktop Color". That brings up sliders to control gamma, brightness and contrast for all or selected color channels. There are many other types of controls possible which is why it takes a few clicks to get where you want to go.

I highly recommend the Dell IPS (InterPlane Switching) display. IPS is the technology that allows you to view your digital display from almost any angle (up, down or sideways) and not see color and brightness shifts which are rampant in cheaper displays.

So, whatever display you buy make sure it has IPS. My only experience with Lenovo is a 15" Win7 laptop we bought recently. The machine works fine but I much prefer Dell or HP for consumer computer products. The interface to updates, utilities, etc. is not as user friendly as Dell and HP. I believe it's because Lenovo came from IBM and IBM gear has a slant that assumes you have an IT guy to support you. Lenovo is OK but just not as friendly. But do keep in mind my only Lenovo experience is this one laptop. Anyhow, the next machine of any type will probably come from Dell or HP again.

But do remember that your true experience is going to come from the software already installed for your video card... unless you upgrade to something else.

ps: The price of 24" IPS displays has been dropping lately. I think they may be available for $100 less than what I paid for mine.

Chuck Norcutt