Re: [OM] Offer on on OMD-EM1

Subject: Re: [OM] Offer on on OMD-EM1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:36:28 -0400
In the US at least, Olympus will not undercut its retailers. For example, B&H sells the E-M1 for $1399 or 99 cents less than the Olympus listed retail price of $1399.99. But B&H will also include a 32GB SanDisk SDHC card and also give you a "rewards card" worth 4% of your purchase price usable on future purchases. Olympus will always charge full retail price except when they offer discounts on specific merchandise. But, if they offer a $100 discount on the E-M1 then B&H will also offer the same discount from their store along with the same offer of the 32GB card and 4% rewards card.

So it's always cheaper to buy from the dealer unless Olympus is offering refurbished items. There the discount might be $2-300 on an item as expensive as the E-M1. But sometimes other dealers (like Cameta Camera) may carry refurbished gear as well and may still beat Olympus. I've been waiting for a long time to pick up a refurbished E-M1, 9-18 and 75-300. All have appeared on the refurbished list twice to far this year and at very substantial discounts. But, by the time I get the announcement email those particular items are sold out.

Chuck Norcutt