Re: [OM] New scanners--opinion?

Subject: Re: [OM] New scanners--opinion?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:32:22 -0700
On 10/4/2014 9:45 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
I will have to glue all my color transparencies back
together to scan them.

Yes it does look like it would be the ticket for archiving a bunch of old
negatives.
Most of my negatives are cut into 4-6 image strips which would work fine. otherwise old slides would have to tediously go through the FS4000.

Four at a time is no slower than 4 image strips of negs. If you use the Advanced Workflow Suggestions in the User's Guide, you need only stick another set of slides/negs in and start scanning to Raw TIFFs every so often.

Then when all frames are scanned to Raw. sit down and go through 'scanning' from Raw to normal very quickly. If all are similar, that too can be a batch operation. If a handful need more attention, it's a matter of a few moments - no time taken physically rescanning.

(split infinitives are OK since Star Trek ;) ) But I don't scan enough to need
a faster scanner.

Do it the above way, paying little attention and doing other things during the
physical scanning, it seems fast. :-)

BTW, I've been scanning using USB, connected to a USB 3.0 port. I have no way to directly test, as the old box's MB died as I had the new one set up and running*, but it seems like it is at least as fast as using SCSI (well, feels faster). I read somewhere on the web where some guy did test his and find the same thing. He theorized that timing issues between USB 1.1 and some early USB 2.0 ports slowed down the connections. With later USB 2.0, 2.0HS and 3.0 chips, timing issues are resolved.

He thought it was then fast enough that the mechanical speed of the scanner becomes the limiting factor. I tend to concur, as the scanner runs smoothly across the frame, with no stops for the interface/software to catch up. I can't imagine it has more than one physical speed. I have no current plans to go to SCSI on the 64 bit machine.

Scanning Moose

* Fabulous luck, Karma, instincts, whatever - I sure appreciated it lasting
that long.