Re: [OM] Welcome back

Subject: Re: [OM] Welcome back
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 01:17:02 -0500
Beautiful images, in both cases.  Your flash work is very impressive.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Finally a couple Monarchs came a visiting to our Buddlea last weekend undoubtedly fueling up for the long flight to Mexico. I used to take these shots for granted but very few around the past 2 years.

I took a bunch of film shots first which were ironically easier in many respects (could focus wide open with a huge VF) but will be flash predominate as they were in deep shadow and it was very late in the afternoon with slow film.

Here is one after on the 5DII after I ran out of film:
http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2014/35815144_mTn4JH#!i=3587337489&k=TZ88xcD&lb=1&s=L

Then when the second moved to a larger flower with the late PM sun on the background I tried a different tack--moved up the ISO a bit to brighten the background, kept the shutter speed as slow as I dared and aperture adjusted to keep dof optimal and fine tuned the exposure by chimping the ISO. I was worried the flash fill would be way overpowering at the higher ISO (T32 in normal auto) but the thyristor was fooled by the bright background so actually had to turn it up a couple stops. (some lost with extension too) Wanted to avoid a "flash look" if possible and balance the lighting. I have not had much success with any images pushing shadows in post with butterflies. Focusing at F11 is not a piece of cake.

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2014/35815144_mTn4JH#!i=3587337651&k=44cG4P6&lb=1&s=L

I have to go for a couple hours tomorrow for the October B'fly derby, but it is the tale end of the tale end. The second flight of the Bronze Copper around here is bimodal and it can be quite late
so there may be another chance at that showy critter.

Mike