Re: [OM] The scariest computer security problem I've ever seen

Subject: Re: [OM] The scariest computer security problem I've ever seen
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:42:10 -0400
I'm not surprised manufacturers don't do it.  It probably allows them to
do firmware updates although I doubt memory stick makers are likely to
produce new firmware. And don't think of it as only affecting flash drives. It (quite literally) affects every kind of USB device in the world.

All possible USB devices have not been checked for the problem but a single Chinese manufacturer produces most of the USB control chips. They all conform to the standard and the standard explicitly allows the device to change its identity or to have multiple identities. It also says nothing about locking down the control memory or filling the unused space.

I have no idea how you would check the vulnerability of the older Memorex flash drives. But, if I were you, I would no longer stick any kind of flash drive in (of all places) a university library computer. Now that the technique and sample code have been published I would surmise they will all be hacked within weeks if not already. You'd better switch to CDs or DVDs. If you must use the flash drives I'd dedicate a non-networked computer to reading those drives and rewriting their contents to CD or DVD before allowing your other computers to read it. Even then you'd better disable "Autorun" since the malware on the memory stick could insert an executable file on your CD or DVD and Windows could run it without your knowledge. But, of course, you already have "Autorun" disabled on your machine... right?

Undetected, surreptitious installation of malware is one of the main reasons to get off those XP and Win98/SE machines and on to Win7 or later. Of course, if the infection vector is one of these infected USB devices even Win7 or 8 or iOS or Linux or any other OS can have it's boot sector hijacked before the OS is even running... ergo no software defense is possible against such an attack.

Chuck Norcutt