Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 14:34:39 -0700
On 10/13/2014 4:25 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Moose wrote
I was amused when a friend was enthusing about the camera in her iPhone 5,
and I was demurring, saying sure, it's fine
for snaps, and always better than nothing, but ... Then when she was going
through my latest book, she commented about
how much detail is visible is in the images, how sharp and clear they are.
But she couldn't see the connection! Oh well.

Bookish Moose
It takes a bit to make me laugh these days but I laughed
quietly out loud when I read that.

Glad to be of assistance. ;-)

A couple + of points.
1) I do actually have the 6 x 17 camera. Unless it has
been stolen and I haven't noticed yet.

Yes, I know that, with 115 mm Grandagon

2) I have just ordered the battery conversion kit ...
Unless something goes horribly wrong, it's a done deal.
3) True, Andris doesn't use the Linhof now, but I can't
even consider the latest megabucks digital camera he
has. Forget the name but you will all have heard of it.
The point is that I DO have the 6 x 17, and I have not
managed to get stitching software to work for me - yet.

And my point was that, lovely a piece of equipment as it is, it's simply not necessary for this project. You already know my opinion of the hardware and software you are using - simply inadequate for this purpose. There are several stitching options that work for the rest of us.

Scanning 6x17 film and processing the results to book standard is surely not a trivial matter. Do you have a scanner for them? Will the file sizes of quality scans make your computer choke?

4) I do not have a 15 MP camera yet

But it's time! An E-M1 with adapter brings your existing lenses up to date. :-)

5) the format of Andris's .latest book is 10 x 14 inches =
26 x 36 cm.
His blurb is <Hardback, 224 pages, 124 Images,
370x260mm>.

I've been on his web site. Various options for about nine actually different books (if you ignore the monster). Some larger and some smaller than mine.

Some images span both pages. Some a page and a half.

I have always seriously disliked spreads across a conventional gutter. With the lay flat pages some printers now offer, it's a different story.

Some seem to be just contact print size 6x12, 6x17.
  The detail in his film 10 x 26 inch prints is amazing.

I wish you could see the 8.5 x 23 inch panoramas in my book. Again, only saying that while 6x17 results can be amazing, they aren't necessary.

If I can emulate him I will be mightily pleased.

As you should be!

6) Slowing down and taking the time for thought out film
shots won't do me any harm. Most of the time will be
involved in choosing the place and time, and travel.

I don't disagree. And my comments about time and effort apply not to the taking
part, but to the post exposure process.

7) Not a bad goal to set myself

Nope! And good luck!

Digital Moose