Re: [OM] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [OM] (no subject)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:09:20 -0700
On 10/14/2014 6:23 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I wasn't going there. ... But to your point, yes, I think that Moose is misapplying his bias about the iPhone5 camera based on the person's lack of post-production prowess, not on the camera itself.

Nope. I'm talking my iPhone 5s and my post processing chops. With apps like PaperCamera, I've taken some non straight shots I love. I've post processed the bejesus out of a few straight shots - not in the way you are recently, but toward the best straight image I could make.

Great light, base ISO, subject suited to 30 mm eq. AOV, and yes, I can get something suitable for a good looking 8x10 book page.

Vary from those specs, and things go downhill. Viewed on the phone or, I imagine, a drugstore print, they're great. On an iPad, still nice, but the weaknesses start to show through.

Case in point, subject sitting on a wood floor, nice side light from a wall of windows. Perfect for a portrait, but not really bright. My GM1 is sitting on a table a few feet away, but if I go to grab it, the shot is gone - either entirely or from spontaneous to posed, with the pixie hidden away.

The 5s shot is ISO 250 @ 1/30, but so wide that I have to crop it to about half. It's a great portrait of the 60+ co-counder of Interplay that captures the little girl inside that is such a key part of her success in showing adults how to play. It's gone as viral as anything can in a small international community.

But technically, it's pretty crappy. If I'd had the real camera in hand, I
would have something spectacular.

So yeah, compared to an Instamatic, the 5s is a great camera - but ...

Post Chopped Moose