Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14

Subject: Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 18:13:47 -0700
Not small and light by any stretch in the MFT universe but the images
emerging  using it look very very nice.

http://pen3.de/40-150/40-150.html

A simple choice for me. It may be the best GD lens in the Universe - and I would hardly use it. Different strokes for others, of course.

Choices, Choices Moose writes:
<<<Panny has since come out with a smaller, lighter 35-100 lens, but I
<<<like the 150 mm long end. A GM camera and two lens kit would make a
<<<great backpacking kit. The GM5 adds an EVF.

The mag in the EVF is really only .46 in FF equivalents and I am not
sure how workable that will be.

OK, time to fess up. In one of my little fits of GAS madness, I picked up a Panny ZS40. <http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40> I tried this ploy, a looog zoom compact to carry in a pocket along with a more capable camera with better image quality and a much shorter zoom range, with the Samsung WB650. The Sammy worked for me for a while, then slid into little use.

The ZS40 has twice the zoom range, better IQ to start with in JPEGs, and, wonder of wonders, puts out Raw files. In reviews of this and other small sensor compacts with Raw, I read that it doesn't add much, if anything. I'm here to say BS. I can get much better IQ than the JPEGs, done to my own taste, and at least at lower ISOs, there is actually a little highlight recovery available. Still trying to decide if I really like it. Gotta get down to processing a few more images.

Anyway, confession out of the way, the ZS40 has a tiny EVF in the corner. They don't even say what the mag. is, but you may get an idea:

Camera           ZS40        GM5          GX7         E-M5
Magnification      ?        0.92×        1.39×        1.15×
Pixels         200,000    1,166,000    2,764,800 1,440,000

It's a tiny thingie, coarse, poor color, esp. red/yellow. But - it does the job, allowing a clear view of the subject and framing where the LCD isn't useful. That would include in bright sun and at really long focal lengths. At 720 MM eq., I have a terrible time finding my tiny, far away subject. Through the EVF, it's easy. It's semi useful for focus for me, but possibly not for most people.

So I'm thinking the one on the GM5 is going to be pretty darn useful.

I want to try one at the Hunt show in a few weeks.

Oh goodie, report please.

It gets rid of that pesky wheel to change aperture that I have not
fully come to terms with yet. The screen the the GM-5 is smaller

May not be an issue when you see it in person. I was OK with the 3:2 Pen screens; but then I'm notorious for screen tolerance.

and I imagine it is indeed more difficult to quickly remove from a case due
to the EVF as CCM has surmised.

Another thing to check is how it's made. The one on the ZS40 is hard plastic, not like the GX7's soft rubber, and doesn't catch on a fairly tight fitting soft case.

The new Panny 35-100 announced at Photokina does look like a nice fit.

http://www.camerastuffreview.com/panasonic-lens-review/review-panasonic-35-100-4

They noticed that full correction of the linear distortion can soften some portions of the image at times. That is the case in some circumstances with the 12-32 as well

I've wondered about that. Long ago, I found quite an effect on the edges of some very WA images with details in the corners when correcting them with PTLens. I imagine most lens designers limit the amount of linear distortion they allow to remain uncorrected in the glass for just that reason, to hold down softness from later correction. Perhaps Panny has loosened those criteria to make the tiny, light lenses for the GMxs? And compensated with incomplete metadata correction. (Another reason to stay with my 45-150. ;-) )

and I like to choose the tradeoffs myself and not be limited by the metadata choices--thus have used DXO Optics Pro more often than not.

Prefer to make my own errors thank you very much, Mike

It is nice to have that option, thus I have DxO OP now. Still, for almost all
normal shots, it's not an issue.

Gassy Moose