Re: [OM] Blood moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Blood moon
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:53:59 +1300
Chuck wrote;

Brian didn't have a problem with exposure.  His problem was poor focus
and/or possibly vibration.  Practicing on a brighter moon should allow
easier practice on focus and perhaps marking the lens for infinity focus
(he says it runs past infinity).  He may need some practice with live
view.
/////////////////////////
Well, yes and no.
It didn't take long for me to realise that I had to compensate for the moon
becoming less visible.
So I was constantly adjusting manual speed and ISO, checking the results as
I went along..
I used the scientific technique known colloquially as "By Guess and by God".!
(Apologies to The Maker).
I also adjusted (increased) the f-stop somewhat in order to use the
hyperfocal distance effect to make up for my supposed inaccurate ( but not
quantified) out-of-focus error. I suspect that the technique did not work.

When I looked at the ISO's actually used, as revealed by FastStone, I had
the suspicion that manual exposure adjustment on the E-3 also changed ISO
without letting me know. I did not spend much time trying to get to the bottom
of that one.

Next time, if there is one, I really will try to set up the lens focus in
daylight
and sticky-tape it in that position.

Brian

---