Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14

Subject: Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:26:11 -0400
Gassy Moose writes:
Anyway, confession out of the way, the ZS40 has a tiny EVF in the
corner. They don't even say what the mag. is, but you may get an idea:

Camera           ZS40        GM5          GX7         E-M5
Magnification      ?        0.92×        1.39×        1.15×
Pixels         200,000    1,166,000    2,764,800 1,440,000

It's a tiny thingie, coarse, poor color, esp. red/yellow. But - it
does the job, allowing a clear view of the subject and framing where the LCD isn't useful. >>That would include in bright sun and at really long focal lengths. At 720 MM eq., I have a terrible time finding my tiny, far away subject. Through the >>EVF, it's easy. It's semi useful for focus for me, but possibly not for most people.

So I'm thinking the one on the GM5 is going to be pretty darn useful.

Thanks for that comparison. You may yet cost me more $$ and would have to take a hit unloading my now nicely equipped gently used all black GM-1 special ordered from Henry's with US video format and the Richard Franiec grip. The IQ of both cams should be perfectly identical.

Panny to their credit list the EVF mag as 0.46 FF equiv (really should be with 25mm and not 50mm lens anyway) and have been wary of any VF with mag<.75 or so. EVF gets mixed reviews with most reviewers say one would largely use the back LCD unless limited by conditions. It may just be good 'nough though.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-compact-system-cameras-dslm/dmc-gm5.specs.html

Curiously as well the GM-5 unlike GM-1 has a Zebra mode which may be quite useful--I doubt it is based on RAW data like the Zebra with Magic Lantern on Canyon, but still useful to know in a glance where and what channel is at risk of clipping. I am still surprised by the IQ of this tiny cam/lens combo tough the noise at base ISO is clearly higher than the OM 5DII. I also get fooled to what shots worked composing on the LCD--surprised both ways. That is exceedling rare with my OM cams with the super bright large VF--only sometimes misled
on bokeh with the 2 series screens.
I will drag Marnie to Hunt's for the show and if she likes the EVF will have to get off my duff and switch them out. I hope they decided to record focusing distance in exif like Oly but suspect not.

Thanks, I think, Mike