[OM] A nifty accessory for small cameras

Subject: [OM] A nifty accessory for small cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:38:41 -0700
I'd been using a Tiltpod I received as a gift on my GM1. A clever and useful thingie. <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NMNHVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

It has just enough oomph to handle it with 12-32 lens, but fails completely with a longer zoom. It's now moved on to a lighter camera. My new leave-on support for the GM1 is the GorrillaPod Micro 250. <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HY4U5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

It takes up very little space on the bottom of the camera folded up and will support the 45-150 lens. The camera still slides easily into and out of my little LowePro belt bag with it on, too.

There are complaints in user reviews about three things.

1. The attachment screw is soft and damages easily from a screwdriver.

Well that's an easy one. One look ad the width of the slot and the concave profile of the bottom shows it's designed to be tightened by something round and thick, like a coin, not a thin, flat ended, sharp edged screwdriver blade.

2. It unscrews in use.

This is mostly a misunderstanding of how to use it. Pull out the most clockwise leg and shift it as far around as it goes. This extends the middle leg too, and puts tightening effort against the screw.

To close, put pressure with two fingers between middle and base legs, then end and base legs. It folds up easily, while putting no counter-clockwise torque on the mounting screw. To adjust its position, always turn it clockwise.

3. It mars the camera bottom finish.

I bought an 0.3 mm thick Mylar washer, 17.5 mm dia., 8.5 mm center hole, for 20¢, based on the reviews. As it turns out, I don't need it. Either the Panasonic GM1 tripod socket is raised the tiniest bit above the bottom plate or Joby has changed the profile of the mounting screw. I've put it on, tight, a few times, with no effect on the finish.

Stable Moose