Re: [OM] OT: Post-Tropical Cyclone Gonzalo

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Post-Tropical Cyclone Gonzalo
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:43:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      As well as from Norway.  The jet of Arctic air currently pounding away
>> at Iceland is
>>elongating the low-pressure trough extending to the south.  That's going to
>>be bad news for
>>Ireland in less than 12 hours.  Looks like there's already a strong
>>southwesterly wind along
>>the west coast.
>

>What makes this one interesting is the high-level winds. Air
>turbulance for transatlantic flights must be a bear right now.

     No doubt.  This is a significant combination of three weather systems (TS
Gonzalo, strong low pressure over Iceland, additional flow from Norway) that
will be interesting to watch over the next 48 hours.  I'm wondering if it will
affect us here in North America after it makes it's way over Siberia:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/mrfmeans.shtml

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cpc/cpc_NHEM_f072wbg.gif

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cpc/cpc_NHEM_f120wbg.gif

     Questionable reliability after this point:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cpc/cpc_NHEM_f192wbg.gif

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cpc/cpc_NHEM_f264wbg.gif

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson