Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:58:56 +0100
It's only an objective fact once you have defined the desired Circle of
Confusion. And we might well find that the generally-accepted CoC for a
given format dates back to the 1920s. I suspect that the resolving power of
all parts of the image-forming chain in aggregate has improved somewhat
since then, as has our ability (and propensity) to inspect images far more
closely. Result? It appears that hyperfocal scales are wildly optimistic,
because we can see that the in-focus area is significantly narrower than it
"should" be. Note "appears", as the scales have indeed been calculated
properly according to time-honoured formulae - it's just that we look too
closely (pixel-peeping).

As to why they have disappeared from lenses, I suspect two drivers: internal
focus zoom lenses and autofocus. The first makes portrayal of the scales
very difficult in the space available on the lens body, and the second makes
the scales pretty redundant, since the photographer is looking through the
viewfinder, not at the lens!

Piers