Re: [OM] Help exposing the moon was Re: IMG: Sunrise, Moonset

Subject: Re: [OM] Help exposing the moon was Re: IMG: Sunrise, Moonset
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:37:58 -0400
For daylight photos we have the "sunny 16" rule which says a proper daylight exposure is f/16 at ISO 100 and 1/100 second. The moon is essentially a sunlit landscape but the light has been attenuated by a low albedo and the atmosphere. So the moon version of the sunny 16 rule is called the "moony 11" rule. Your actual exposure will vary depending on a lot of factors but if you try f/11 at ISO 100 and 1/100 second as your starting point you'll be pretty close.

Chuck Norcutt