Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:43:52 +0100
In a message back in 2005 (!) which is here:
http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2005-03/msg02121.html I referenced two articles
in Zeiss Camera Lens News. Not all the early editions of CLN are available
online at http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?page_id=18 but No 1, Summer 1997, is
the key, and I quote the conclusion of the article “Depth of Field – An
Insider’s Look Behind The Scenes” therein.

Let’s sum it up for today:

• The international depth of field standard, the basis for all camera lens
manufacturers to calculate their depth of field scales and tables, dates back
from a time, when image quality was severely limited by the films available.

• Those who use depth of field scales, tables, and formulas (e. g. for
hyperfocal settings), restrict themselves – most probably without knowing why –
to the image quality potential of an average pre-World-War-II emulsion.

I don’t believe that undermines anything that has been posted so far, rather it
gives some perspective (in the non-technical sense!)to the different views
expressed.

And once again, Merklinger’s writings are well worth the read for the very
different approach he takes.

Piers