Re: [OM] Binary DoF

Subject: Re: [OM] Binary DoF
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:00:19 -0400
I didn't have any idea of the size of a cine sensor. Turns out it's a bit smaller than an APS-C sensor and has a crop factor of a bit less than 1.4. After applying the appropriate crop factor (which says their 25mm lens has the field of view of a 35mm lens on a full frame sensor) I computed the hyperfocal distance for a 35mm lens at 40 lines/mm. I was within a matter of inches of their claimed hyperfocal distance for the 25mm lens at f/8.

That's probably actually fairly stringent for a cine lens. Has anyone ever seen a sharp cine single frame not badly affected by motion blur? When it's in motion we don't see see the blur.

Chuck Norcutt

Here are the 0.013:

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cine/master_lenses/mp_feet_13.pdf

I think Dr. Focus looked into where one lens differed from the ideal and
by how much a couple years back. Thus the perceived/real  dof can indeed
differ using different lenses. Microcontrast, field curvature, exact
focus distance all are important variables affecting real or perceived
dof. Nasse has said a photographer uses these principles as a general
guide but experience is more important than full wave solution tables.

I am not sure why they seem to be useful for the cine lenses though I
have seen clips of a focus puller at work and it was amazing how he
could gauge exact distances by eye.