Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunrise, Moonset
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:53:32 -0700
I have never used an "arbitrarily defined spread" and neither should
you.  I compute my own CoC and get exactly what I want.
It's "arbitrary" in the sense that _you_ define it. (suggest a different word Piers) I'm sure that you do not choose arbitrary criteria. I suspect Moose would choose different criteria. Surely we're not just throwing darts at a target. ... oops! Someone already did and engraved it on my lens!

  I can tell you that this Leica
scale assumes a resolution of approximately 30 lines/mm.  That's often
sufficient for me.  Want a more stringent parameter?  Shoot at one stop
smaller (f/11) while continuing to assume the 10 feet to infinity given
by f/8 on the scale.  That ups the assumed resolution value to 40
lines/mm.  Still not good enough. ....
This very statement shows the arbitrariness... kinda like the adjustable wrench
of the photographer's kit. However I would liken the ticks on the lens to an
adjustable wrench with the thumb wheel welded in place.

Mike