Re: [OM] Fuji X-Pro

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji X-Pro
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:38:51 -0700
On 10/25/2014 3:44 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

After all of my grousing about the Fuji X-Pro, I ended up ordering a new
lens for it which I got today.  I needed a long lens that I could hand-hold
for an upcoming assignment.  I took the Leica 200/2.8 on my  last trip but
that thing is humongous and there is no way I could hand-hold it.  I also
took the 100 Macro which works fine on the M240 but I wanted to use it with
a 2X extender and, for some reason, I couldn't get it to mount on either
the 2 or 1.4 extenders.  So I ordered the Fuji 55-200/3.5-4.8.  I just
started playing with it but it looks like it might be better than I
expected.  Here are three examples from this afternoon:

The lens seems fine. OTOH, all suffer from blown highlights, almost all red
channel.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157976037

Cheek and breast white patches.

This one also has sharpening halos. Not that that should stop you. I was at an event today where a photographer was flogging his images stuck to the front of cards. Some excellent captures of wildlife, including a bobcat jumping into the air to pounce on prey - like the fox image in snow here. The bird images against sky had huge, bright sharpening halos. Either he has a camera that can capture avian auras or they are actually angels in disguise.

Doesn't matter to potential and actual buyers, apparently. I didn't see many actual purchases, not because they weren't happening, but because I had other things to do.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157976087

Parts of yellow petals.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157976088

Parts of red petals.

Most visible in the begonias, but also fairly easy to see in the sunflowers is the way clipping of reds has rendered areas all one color, with no tonal or object details visible.

The lens has Image Stabilization which seems to work pretty well since that
last one was shot at 1/13 of a second, hand-held!

I know I need to practice some with focusing (which seems to snap in pretty
fast) and exposures at 200 which is really 300.

Huh? AF should nail those easily. And AE, but with more negative EV
compensation should get the exposures.

Controlled Red Moose