Re: [OM] IMG: Cape Neddick Lighthouse

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cape Neddick Lighthouse
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:56:51 -0700
On 10/25/2014 12:07 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Some hyperfocal work by Tina. Ask her how she did it. She used f/8 at 90mm. I suspect the lighthouse might be a bit soft at a larger size. I'd have used f/11 and a shorter focal length if I could have gotten close enough. But maybe she couldn't get closer.

OK, lets look at another one, Prospect Harbor Lighthouse. Just as you suggest, shorter FL and f11. <http://www.pbase.com/image/157906308>

And yet, the near foreground is quite OOF. It appears to me that the lighthouse and tree were also a bit OOF, and sharpening has been used on them. The result is slightly etched, artificial looking, to my eye.

Two shots, one focused near, one far, feathered together in the water, would get everything in focus and better looking, overall.

Cropping and different compositions are possible, as with the following horizontal shot. But to get the chosen shot, hyperfocal technique won't do it without slipping into diffraction limited territory - not that anyone would see it at this size.

Two for One Moose