Re: [OM] OT. Spam

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Spam
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:47:31 -0400
My mail server offers spam filtering but I don't make use of it since I'd have to log on to the server to check what it's doing. I prefer to download the mail and let Thunderbird do the spam filtering. It was pretty efficient at doing that until the latest round of very different spam started arriving. I probably get 20 or more spam messages/day but Thunderbird (at the moment) is only catching about 50%. But it does get better as it learns about the new crop.

I assume a server-side spam filter could be much more efficient since it would have experience of all spam messages it sees rather than just that of one individual. But I find filtering the residual myself is less bothersome than logging on to the server directly.

I suppose I could use my gmail account but I don't since Google knows too much about me as it is.

Chuck Norcutt