Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] Mega Pixel equivalent of medium format negatives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:37:32 -0800
On 11/3/2014 7:17 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Moose has the correct answer.

Oh my!

The scanner will produce an image size commensurate with the stated scanning resolution. Taking Moose's example of scanning 35mm film at 4000 dpi you'll get an image of about 5600 x 3700 pixels. However, the big mystery is whether each of those pixels actually resolves some detail different from its neighbors. Resolution in film cannot be more than the size of its individual film grains.

Clumps of grain, as I understand it from reading.

Consider a case where the scanner is creating supposedly high resolution pixels but where three of those pixels are all seeing a different part of the same film grain. No matter the scanning resolution the maximum possible real resolution may be considerably less. Resolution for a film camera will depend on the film itself along with all the other considerations that tend to limit it.

There are other interesting variables for MF film that digital doesn't have. The major one that comes immediately to mind is film flatness. 6x7 cm film has two opportunities to lose detail to this, Depth of Focus in taking and Depth of Field when scanning. Unless one uses cut film, a vacuum back and/or glass scanner carrier (which brings its own problems), ALL MF film is not flat to a greater degree than 35 mm and to a MUCH greater degree than a digital sensor.

This is a significant problem that's hard to pin down, as it will vary from shot to shot, depending on film tension, temperature, humidity, etc. on the shooting end and the film characteristics change after processing, so the places affected may be different in the scanner holder. When making prints to be viewed at reasonable sizes relative to viewing distance, it's not such a big deal most of the time. When scanning, and with the ability to pixel peep at 100%, it becomes significant.

Likewise, the image dimensions from a digital sensor can't be more than the number of pixels on the sensor. In the case of the Canon 5D with 3912 pixels in the vertical dimension there can't be more pixels than that in the vertical dimension of the image. The maximum theoretical resolution in lines would be 3912 / 2 = 1956 since it takes a minimum of 2 pixels of different color or brightness to start forming a line.

But that's the max theoretical from the sensor. If the lens is not resolving that level of detail or there is motion blur then the maximum will not be reached.

Running the numbers is fine, and useful, but not always the whole story. When I upgraded from the APS-C 300D to a 5D, I calculated that the theoretical resolution of the 300D is greater than that of the matching size central portion of the larger FF sensor of the 5D.

However, as I suspected from review images, with actual test shots on a tripod of static subjects, using the same lens, there was very slightly more visible detail in the lower pixel count shots from the 5D.

As scientists find regularly, the theoretical calculations may or may not match the experimental results. Sometimes the theory has to go.