Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: RIP Win98/SE
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:17:43 -0600
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've said it many times: in today's environment (and even that of 5 years
> ago) management allowing development of any software product within a
> company that requires a specific browser/java/proprietary hook is grounds
> for a change in management--and possibly development staff as well.
> Especially if it's destined for client use (rather than strictly internal).
>
> Doing so, contrary to what one might think, arbitrarily limits one's
> market, adds to support issues over the long term, and increases the time
> and cost of improvements or patches. It's often done in the name of locking
> in the customer, or because personnel involved have no real knowledge of
> platforms other than the most common--Windows.
>
> Using the existing globally accepted standards are a much better bet. They
> allow a company to be able to remain more agile and competitive, and keep
> costs lower over time.

Believe me, you're preaching to the choir. I believe our PACS vendor is
headed in that direction - they have a product designed for low-bandwidth
remote locations, including iPhones and iPads, that is platform- and
browser-independent, and has no download. However, it's not diagnostic
quality, just review quality, but if they can bring that thinking into the
desktop product, all of us will be much, much happier.

One of our previous clinical products was hideously stupid. Not only did it
require IE, but it also required a specific screen resolution. If you used
anything else, the HTML wouldn't render correctly and the buttons wouldn't
line up with the hotspots or would render half-off the screen. What a mess.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie