[OM] (OT) Missing in Action

Subject: [OM] (OT) Missing in Action
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:01:32 -0500
I know you’ve all been wondering what happened to Bob. In fact, I’m sure some
of you have been in therapy at the loss of my infinite wisdom, wit and whatnot.

Sunday, a kick-ass winter storm blew through the middle of Maine, uprooting
trees and throwing them across power lines and such. We were without power from
Sunday morning until Tuesday evening. Not so bad. We have a generator. But
unlike most power outages, we also lost our cable. So no TV, no internet. And
no cell service in Round Pond, which, I believe, is almost, but not quite of
this earth. Only reason I can think of why we get no service with towers no so
far away.

So, now it’s Thursday and we still don’t have cable. I’m at my son’s house in
Portland to spend the day with Norah, so I lugged my laptop with me to see if
I’d missed anything. Maybe she’ll take a long nap and let me catch up, but I
doubt it. Not a problem. I’d rather play with her than catch up on emails.

Unexpected consequence: We had no election coverage for two days before
Election Day, and the no coverage continues. Oh, we know who won and who lost,
but it’s second-hand knowledge, which isn’t so hard to take. Not that I’m
happy. I’m just surprised at how sanguine I can be about a disaster I suffered
second hand.

A lesson, yes?

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal