Re: [OM] Daylight Unsaved

Subject: Re: [OM] Daylight Unsaved
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 15:52:14 -0800
On 11/6/2014 8:43 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
Nice. Soft in appearance, pretty sharp to the casual look.

Thanks! And welcome back to the connected world - I think. ;-)

Still learning, and apparently in no hurry, my new carry everywhere camera.

I waffle back and forth. I absolutely love the GM1 as a belt/big pocket camera, but the 24-64 mm eq. focal range is limiting to my to often tele eye. Add the 45-150, the focal range is good, but the kit doubles in size and requires fussing with lens changes.

With the Panny ZS40, IQ suffers, high ISO is much poorer. But it fits in to a pocket more comfortably and - 24 to 720 zoom range. The big thing it adds that many similar cameras lack is Raw output. I've seen review sites poo-pooh this on such a small sensor, including one of this camera. I'm here to say they are wrong! Highlight recovery is better than they say/imply. The ability to tune one's own NR, sharpening and/or deconvolution ... Suffice it to say it's possible to do way better than the JPEGs from the camera.

In this case, I was on my way to an event, not late, but needing to keep moving. I realized the time change had put sunset right then, and chose to take the high road to see it. The camera was in my pocket. A quick few moments to pull over, jump out, take three shots, and I was on my way again. Had I had the GM1 with me, I wouldn't have the longer zoom, and I don't get this shot, which is at 300 mm eq.

Which Way Up Moose