Re: [OM] Photographing the impossible

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing the impossible
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:52:41 -0800
On 11/10/2014 9:45 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
I like 14880

Thanks!

but even then it is hiding shadows a person would see as the rods kick in. Maybe sensor design should emulate the eye and give us B&W where the shadows are beyond the Dmax of the color wells.

That's not really the problem here. Shot at base ISO, there's lots of shadow detail that I could bring up. The problem is that then it starts to look unnatural, the tonal relationships vary too much from the subject itself. I've brought up middle and shadows and done other things to them to try to have it both look natural and retain much of the apparent brightness range in a viewing medium that can't reproduce it.

Another thing that may be happening is your screen may be slightly less bright than mine, sabotaging my carefully wrought strategy. ;-) I find it very sensitive to slight changes in overall brightness.

  It was more beautiful in my head than in the camera.
Yes, I often come to that conclusion when I'm home looking through the day's results. Even after much agonizing software work I just can't capture "it".

Ah, now you are I think referring to the second one, oaks at dusk. Yeah, lots of effort, but 'it' eluded me even more than with the redwoods.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
  Woodsy Moose