Re: [OM] IMG: Leica Photographers (comments on depth of field)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Leica Photographers (comments on depth of field)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:08:58 -0800
On 11/9/2014 8:37 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
They either prefer it, or don't know any better or have no choice because of sensor size/lens considerations. The same was true of film P&S cameras because of cheap, small aperture lenses and/or small film frames like 126 or 1/2 frame 35mm. There is room for all. I normally use my E-M5 these days because I shoot more landscape than anything else and the increased ease of getting great depth of field is appreciated. But I still have the Canon 5D around and some f/2.8 AF lenses as well as adapters for OM lenses if I need even larger apertures.

A secondary reason that I have a couple of faster primes for µ4/3. 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 are DoF equivalents of 40 and 90 mm f3.5. Not really fast enough for shallow DoF like f1.4 lenses on FF, but better than the slow zooms. Not that I have yet used them for intentional shallow DoF. :-)

Deep Field Moose