Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:42:51 -0800
On 11/12/2014 9:53 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Perhaps, Moose, but that’s a mixing of tenses as well. If McLuhan said that, he did so in the past; so that should read, “Didn’t McLuhan say that the mangle was the message?”.

No, it would read "Didn’t McLuhan say 'The mangle is the message?'”

But only if he actually said that. What he did, quite famously, say was "The medium
is the message."

I'm not sure what the correct might be usage for a spoof of what someone said. I do know that the present tense of 'to be' is crucial to his meaning in this line. "Was" could refer only to a past case or situation, whereas his clear intent was to say that it is generally true, past, present and future.

Pedant Is* Moose

* In which case, would McLuhan's opinion be that email is the medium which is the message, or that pedantry is the medium? Being who he was, I imagine he would either say both, or, more likely, turn the question back to the one who asked.

I’ll have to look up McLuhan now.

His statement sounds glib, but the further and deeper one goes with it, the
more important it becomes.

P. S.** Moose :-)

** Not Public School.