Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:20:21 +0000
Chuck

I agree that adding the word wouldn't change the tense.  And if the quote had
been in inverted commas the tense could have been the present – as you point
out.  But since Moose wrote it as reported speech, i.e. without quotes, the
tenses should have matched.

Another example might be, “President Obama told the meeting that he admired the
troops fighting for their freedom”, which is similar to “President Obama told
the meeting, 'I admire the troops fighting for their freedom’ ”.

Do you see the distinction that I’m making?

Chris