Re: [OM] Do your homework for better grades

Subject: Re: [OM] Do your homework for better grades
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 00:01:29 +1030
Cc: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
That's such a GenY response, AG... :)  The student does need to do the
bookwork so that when the exam comes along, the problems they face are
not unfamilar - and thus can be completed in the allotted time*.

Seriously, though, the teacher can only ever hope to teach how to learn
- if they can do that, they have done their job - WELL!

What is of real value is to be able to understand a problem - not to
know how to select a correct spanner, but to understand that a need for
a tool that mates with the bolt/nut even exists... If you don't got it,
you just don't got it!  (and I didn't 'got' it either - but I'm lucky I
can read, and focus on something for more than 30 minutes - though that
ability is fading with age - good job my beard is grey these days - the
'elder effect' has it's uses!).

davidt

* "get your bookwork up to speed" was the best advice I could give my
kids for high school, and they bloody well ignored it!