Re: [OM] Do your homework for better grades

Subject: Re: [OM] Do your homework for better grades
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 21:01:47 -0400
Reported in the Canadian media several months ago now was the case of a long time senior grade school teacher at a school in Edmonton, Alberta whose policy about homework fell afoul of that of the school's administrators. His policy was that if the homework was turned in late it would score a big zero regardless of content and quality. Kids deliberately played up turning in their work late or not at all. He scored them zero. The kids complained, they caught the attention of the administrators, they hired a lawyer, they got onto television, they complained about their human rights, etc, etc. The school's policy was that no student should have any feeling that they had failed or required remediation! The teacher was fired but fortunately he was only months away from retiring.

Back in my day, teacher would have warmed the kids' finger tips or ass six times with a three foot long half inch diameter bamboo cane with 12" of splayed ends with a 120 degree energetic swing !

jh