Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house

Subject: Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:13:58 -0800
That attractive critter is a zebra longwing, Heliconius charitonia. I have only seen them in B'fly aviaries but it is the
state B'fly of Fl, IIRC.

Mostly just know what's flying 'round here (currently nothing), Mike

One may see flutterbys from anywhere in the world in exhibits these days.

There are a few New World rain forest species near the bottom of this gallery. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=14927>

The open Morpho is perhaps interesting. After landing and crawling around on Carol's pants, it flew away to land in a tree, where a leaf blocked its middle. I took two shots at different angles and put bits together to form one image. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=15033>

When I was in Costa Rica 20 odd years ago, we visited a butterfly farm. It was a largish yard, fenced and covered with netting, full of tropical plants, heavily watered and misted. Very much unlike the dryish farming area around. Chock full of flutterbys.

The attendants go around gathering up the eggs laid on various leaves, etc., some of which we saw before they had been gathered. The eggs go into little cages filled with the stuff the 'pillers like to eat. When they go into the pupa stage, chrysalis, usually, they are packed in boxes of foam and shipped off, to emerge in their new homes. I can't recall if they are cooled for shipping.

Fluttering By Moose