Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App

Subject: Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:29:42 -0800
On 11/23/2014 10:28 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I don't know if you landscape people have heard about this app.  Even after
reading the essay, I'm not sure I approve.

https://captureintegration.com/stand-here-with-rodney-lough/

If you look closer, you'll see he is just trying to make some money out of the resources he's built up over many years of photography, in this case, locations, not images.

The App just gets one close, as in , Acadia NP. Each specific location, with directions, including hiking, costs 99¢. So, he's just trying to make a living from his photography by selling what he has to sell. Is that so different from stock?

I'm not sure how useful it would be, anyway. Each location includes an image, before you pay to find out exactly where it was taken. But time, of day, year, and weather are such huge factors. I know exactly where at least one of his Acadia shots was taken. I've been there several times - and it looked nothing like his shot.

I expect more than a few people will end up disappointed.

OTOH, I have a shot and a pano of Bass Harbor Marsh on the Island that is spectacular. The location is not at all hard to find, right on a main road. I've been to the same spot many times, before and since, as has Bob (Sorry, Bob, but remember Birch Alley!), and it's never looked close to as good as that particular combination of light, clouds, tide, etc.

That's the main reason I can't see myself paying for his locations in any but
unusual circumstances.

Time, Place Moose