Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App

Subject: Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:33:33 -0600
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that this app is
actually a pretty good idea. I have no problem with it. In fact, I do
something similar by going on Google Earth and seeing where all the
pictures are being taken in a specific area.

How is this any different than going on a photo-tour, photo-workshop
or hiring a guide of some form? After all, isn't this pretty much what
I did with the Isle Royale trip?

In all my years of travels, I've stumbled across some great spots that
ended up being famous photography spots. But likewise, I've driven
right past famous photo opportunities because I didn't know they were
there.

Just because an app or guidebook or website or hired guide or even a
friend can point you to a spot, that doesn't mean you have to put your
tripod down on the three red dots on the ground to get your shot.

I've photographed with Joel many times and with other fellow
list-members on several occasions. Just because we are at the same
"spot" means nothing, as we're going our own pictures and working our
own vision. Joel and I have done the same shot with the same
camera/lens combination with our tripods inches apart. Yet our
pictures are entirely different. (I know his are better, he thinks
mine are better).

That said, it does irk the snot out of me to be where 200 other
photographers are at. That is the photographic equivalent to standing
in line at Disneyland to meet a fake character played by a teenager
earning $7.75 an hour.  Puleeese.  I'll take the standard shot and
then go roaming around to get past the screaming children and the
cell-phone selfie crowd.

AG