Re: [OM] Just added to my OM lens collection 135/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Just added to my OM lens collection 135/2.8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:11:57 -0500
Make what you can out of these tests of the 2.8 and 3.5 from Gary Reese's lens tests. In all cases the lenses being tested under different test conditions are not the same lenses. Recall that using an OM-1 with mirror lockup does very little to improve test results since (as it was discovered later) the primary cause of vibration in OM bodies is the kick of the stopdown mechanism.

My own conclusion is that there's not much difference optically except for the increased contrast in the multicoated version of the 2.8 which is something you can fix in post now.

Chuck Norcutt

135mm f/2.8 Zuiko (single-coated)
OM-4T with mirror and diaphragm prefire
Vignetting = B @ f/2.8, A thereafter
Distortion = slight pincushion
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     C+        C+
f/4       B         B-
f/5.6     A-        B
f/8       A-        B
f/11      A         B+
f/16      B+        B
f/22      B         B-
Notes: Moderately low contrast images at f/2.8; moderate contrast at f/4
and f/22; moderately high contrast images at f/5.6 to f/8 and f/16; high
contrast images at f/11.

135mm f/2.8 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-1 with mirror lockup
Vignetting = A-
Distortion = none
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     B         B-
f/4       B-        B-
f/5.6     C+        B-
f/8       B-        B
f/11      B+        B+
f/16      B+        A-
f/22      B         B+
Notes: Moderately high contrast at expense of resolving power throughout
aperture range, with impressively high contrast wide open.

135mm f/3.5 Zuiko (single-coated)

OM-1 with mirror lockup
Vignetting = A-
Distortion = slight pincushion
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/3.5     C+        C
f/5.6     C         C
f/8       B-        B-
f/11      B         B
f/16      B+        B+
f/22      B+        B

OM-2000 with mirror and aperture prefire
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/3.5     C         C-
f/5.6     B-        C+
f/8       B-        B-
f/11      B+        B
f/16      B+        B
f/22      B+        B
Notes: Same 9+ condition lens in both tests. Insignificant differences
between tests likely due to light weight of this lens and minimal
influence of shutter and automatic diaphram vibrations. Moderately low
contrast.