Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App

Subject: Re: [OM] Stand Here, Landscape App
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 01:23:13 -0800
On 11/26/2014 10:13 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Thanks for all those, Moose.  The last one is the most attractive, for me.

And certainly the most unique. I'm pretty sure there are fewer than the 200,000 other similar shots AG suggested for my other 'different views' of famous things. :-)

I also took a video, which I find even better than the stills, as it shows the moving curtains and spray. I hadn't put on the web, mostly 'cause of the sound. But this seemed like a good time to put it up unfinished aurally. <https://vimeo.com/113183387>

I saw this as I was driving down Yosemite Valley, just looking around in the later afternoon. When I saw it, I could see the light was dropping away and shadow creeping up, and it was driving me crazy that there was nowhere to stop, until I was able to turn into a picnic area. There, I screeched to a stop on the verge, leapt out of the car with camera and tripod, calling to Carol that I'd be back, and ran into the woods to find a good vantage point before the light went away.

What it is is an ephemeral spring falls off the side of El Capitan. It falls free from an overhang and is tossed around by a breeze while the low sun illuminates it. As it's close to a 3,000 foot drop, I don't believe any of it reaches the ground directly. There are quite a few ephemeral falls around the Valley in the springs of heavy snow years. This is the finest I've seen.

One of the odd, to me, things about Yosemite Valley is that everyone crowds around the name attractions and in the village. There were few cars where we were and, as far as I saw, no one else noticed what was happening over their heads. I think I was the only one photographing it.

I don't imagine there aren't other images of this, but rather few, I'd guess, as it would only be this way briefly at one time of day for a few days, if the weather is clear, and only in some years.

There's a famous effect that only happens for a day or two, spring and fall, where the angle of the setting sun shoots up the Valley to illuminate Yosemite Falls brilliant red and orange. When it's right, it's spectacular, like fire falling down next to snow on rocks. However, those who make annual pilgrimages are often foiled by the weather. I've never tried for it.

Yosemite S. Moose