Re: [OM] will a TV do this?

Subject: Re: [OM] will a TV do this?
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 22:34:37 +0000
On 2 December 2014 at 22:25, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My wife and I have enjoyed having a digital picture frame with slideshow
> playing in the dining room. The available frames we've had have been junk.
> All 3 have failed after about a year. One failed just before the 1 year
> warranty and was replaced. Replacement failed within a year too. The rest
> conveniently failed just outside of warranty period. Not going there again.
> You must think I'm a bit slow for buying three :)
>
> Anyway, small TV's are dirt cheap so I'm thinking of getting one just to
> play jpg's. Most of them have a usb port and will play jpg's but I'm not
> sure that they have a slideshow function that works without user input.
> Ideally I like to program a time period to start and run and shut down. Our
> old TV will play jpg's but has none of the features I want. Anyone have a
> new TV which will do this? I'm willing to get a "smart" TV with wifi if
> necessary. Maybe I can stream from the computer ??

I suggest for consideration the idea of getting one with an HDMI input (or
a cheap monitor with the same) and adding something like a Raspberry Pi to
do the picture frame thing.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer