Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 15:43:14 +0000 (UTC)
Check out www.kanolabs.com for excellent products of this type.  Been using
them 50+ years.

----- Original Message -----From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
olympus@thomasclausen.netSent: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 13:36:57 -0000 (UTC)Subject:
Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?

>>"Parenthetically, WD-40 seems to be widely misunderstood. It is not really>a
>>lubricant. It was developed for the military>during WWII for the express
>>purpose of water displacement, hence the WD>name. It was the 40th formula
>>tried, hence WD-40.">> OK, Moose, my apologies, not quite a web of lies. But,
>>out of>curiosity, I put "WD-40 development" into Google and got to
>>><http://inventors.about.com/od/wstartinventions/a/WDFourty.htm> WD-40
>>does>stand for Water Displacement, and it was the 40th attempt to develop
>>it,>but is was done by three engineers, not the military, in 1953, not WWII.>

There's been a lot of BS about WD-40, and this is the first time that I've
heard someone make up a new one about it's origins being during WWII. That's
one for the urban legend file.

It's America's favourite lubricant, even though it's not supposed to be used as
a lubricant. I've come across all sorts of bicycle bearings that suffer from
what I call "WD-40 Syndrome", where the WD-40 has dried out to form a thick
goo. I'll squirt in some Liquid Wrench to loosen it, then chase it out with 30W
motor oil to chase it out.

A few days ago we had a couple come into the bike shop with a crippled rear
wheel. They had taken it to a commercial shop and wer told that their gooed-up
hub would cost $130 in parts to replace. I asked to see it, and yes, it felt
like it was in the advanced stages of WD-40 Syndrome as the pawls were just
barely clicking and engaging the spline. I didn't have any Liquid Wrench
available, so I gave it a shot of WD-40 to start, which loosened it up. Then
gave it repeated applications of 30W motor oil until the fluid that came out
was reasonably clear.

They were amazed, even more so when they were told that it wouldn't cost them
anything. They gave us a $10 donation and left very, very happy.

Chris the Moto(b&eacute;cane)maniac~~~ __o~~~ _ <_~~ (_)/(_) --