Re: [OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.

Subject: Re: [OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 03:05:34 -0800
On 12/3/2014 2:35 AM, Hughes wrote:

Moose asked whether I had made an error in describing the tessar lens I had
owned as a young teenager, as being F2.9.

So Mike, interesting, you should mention the Meyor-Optic trioplan,because the
50mm,F2.9 I owned, may have been a Meyer optic trioplan lens, rather than the
F2.8 Zeiss Jena Tessar lens also offered for the camera I owned.

I am still not sure,looking at the Altix 5 camera pictured on the web, it has a
silver Zeiss Tessar, which looks exactly like the lens/camera combination I
owned, but I remember F2.9 because it was an odd aperture.

Looking around on web, it seems the trioplans are valued for Digi camera conversions, as
they have very distinctive sharp completely round edge bokeh,("bubble Bokeh")
because of  large number of blade diaphragms and location of diaphragm etc.

Well, that's classic bad bokeh, dark centers fading to bright, finished with a hard, white edge. The aperture blades have made them really round, which does make some of the bad bokeh rather attractive.

The Zeiss 50/2.8 Tessar also has lots of diaphragm blades, 14, if I recall correctly. I haven't run into any bokeh so badly good, though, although I haven't tried. Few blades and pentagonal or hexagonal bokeh came in with auto aperture, to lower the force needed to stop down.

Rounded Moose