Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider

Subject: Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 09:43:04 -0600
> As usual, this thread has veered well off course relative to my original
> question.  I already have "carrier provided VOIP".  I've been using carrier
> provided VOIP from Comcast, Time Warner or Brighthouse for at least 15
> years, maybe even 20.  Landlines and carrier provided VOIP are my preferred
> method of service due to high quality audio, numerous calling features and
> multiple wireless extension phones throughout the house.

Doubtful that it was actually true VoIP switching, but at least it is
true that on the local loop that it probably wasn't a traditional
twisted-pair technology over the "last mile". I've been inside the
switching offices for some of these companies you just mentioned, and
there were a whole bunch of Nortel DMS-200s in there. In fact, I'm in
the process of decomming one right now that is somewhere around 120
racks in size. It's being consolidated to a new switch, with two other
sites, almost as big, into three relay racks. So, about 250+ relay
racks of DMS-100/200 digital voice switches into three relay racks of
VoIP switches.

You would think that this should result in a huge power savings, but
it doesn't. Those three racks are enclosed cabinets with cooling
chimneys. Each one is consuming about 120 amps (-48VDC). That's
actually more than the old equipment. Shoot, I've got a ROADM/DWDM
shelf in one relay rack that is consuming 60 amps on its own and
that's just to throw light down two pairs of fibers.

> My take from all of this is to invest in one of Ken's "buggy whips" to go
> along with the type of service I have which is why those particular "buggy
> whips" were invented.

Wal-Mart has the ATT cards for 3.5 cents a minute. In reality, that's
very good and probably the best deal around as it takes a lot of
yapping before you break even with a package deal.

Buggy Whips R Us

AG