Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed

Subject: Re: [OM] URGENT: User's advice on OMD M-10 needed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:44:01 -0500
My interest in the E-M1 was based on higher resolution EVF, huge grip (which I like and emulate with an aftermarket grip on the E-M5) and especially those rejiggered buttons.

I have always used my Canon 5D with focus separated from the shutter button and placed on the AE/FE lock button because it's easily operated with the thumb while the forefinger handles the shutter.

You can move the focus on the E-M5 but there's no eligible button easily reachable by the thumb. The playback button is roughly in the right spot but can't be easily pressed by the thumb in shooting position due to being blocked by the view screen. The available buttons forced me to choose the Fn2 button adjacent to the shutter button. That's a non-optimal solution since one must use the index finger for both focus and shutter. It works fine for unhurried shooting but trying to shoot the grandkid's fast moving sports sometimes means missed shots moving from focus button to shooting.

The rejiggered buttons on the E-M1 have moved the shutter button forward on the large grip. That changes the position of your hand such the the rejiggered AE/AF Lock button next to the viewfinder can now be reached with the thumb similar to using the Canon 5D.

Chuck Norcutt