Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:18:39 -0500
Tell me about it. Servicing the discs requires dropping the entire rear suspension cage out of the car. On a new car not too much of a problem. The suspension cage is held to the body (no chassis) by 4 rubber blocks with U-shaped steel channels bonded to the rubber on each side. Each of the channels slides over a U-shaped piece of body sheet metal that looks a bit like a frame. Inside that is a steel cylinder about 3" long with about a 5/16" hole through the center. The cylinder is welded to the inside of the sheet metal "frame" to keep it from collapsing when the attaching bolts from the rubber block are passed through them. Removing 8 of these bolts will allow the suspension cage to be lowered out of the car. But on an older car that has been subjected to a lot of salt (like it lived its life at the beach) those bolts become corroded inside those cylinders. They are impossible to remove without drilling them through. Drilling out 8 rusted but heat treated 5/16" bolts with a hand drill requires many, many, many hours and many, many, may drill bits.

When you finally get the whole suspension cage out of the car then you can try pulling the axle shafts off the discs so the discs can be unbolted from the differential shafts. It took me about 3 weeks of spare time to do that job. Been there, done that.

Chuck Norcutt