Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 01:36:01 -0800
On 12/8/2014 10:06 PM, ChrisB wrote:
You’re probably right, Paul, and I never had one; but everyone used to say that
it was a tractor engine, probably in jest.

I think all that talk came from the fact that the same engine used in the four cylinder Triumphs was also used in Ferguson tractors. Stories vary, but it seems the engine was designed as a tractor engine. But some very leading edge design elements later made it suitable for sedans and sports cars.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_wet_liner_inline-four_engine>
My father owned a lovely Austin Healy 3000 when we lived in Bahrain and I was
about 8 years old.  I still love to see and hear that car.

That was certainly not a tractor engined car. No one was designing and using six cylinder tractor engines. It is descended from engines designed for cars. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_C-Series_engine>

Two Cylinder Moose